Thursday, February 7, 2008

After the Super Bowl, Lent

The great thing about the Super Bowl is that you have a lot of time to kill. The pre-game is 3 or 4 hours. Lots of time to catch up on things. I finally uploaded the PALM photos taken by Holly Johnson who was our PALM photographer last year. It takes a while to upload 300 photos to Flickr. And I finally created a page for PALM 2007 on the website and added all the links to photos that people have sent me (thanks to Ellie Knesper, Bill Richardson, and Tim Mercer). I chatted about the ride on the web page, but it's been so long I've forgotten that there was a summer. If anyone has some memories of PALM 2007 or any links to photos or blogs, email them to me and I'll be glad to add them to the website.

As you've heard, we have 350 people who have signed up for PALM 2008 already. At this rate (35-40 a day) we will reach our cutoff of 700 riders by Feb 15. So once again, if you are planning to ride PALM this year, mail in your application now. (Don't have an application? Download one.) If you have sent in your application and plan to ride with someone, be sure to tell them to send in their application now.

It's great that we have 350 people already, but I work on registration. I'm 350 people behind and I haven't seen the first application to process yet. Since I work, I can only average processing about 35 people a night. I have a good 10 days of work ahead of me. I guess this is what Lent is all about. And you thought Lent was the time between the Super Bowl and spring training. Wrong.

For Lent I'm giving up coffee, actually caffeine. I drink way too much of it. When you do that and give it up, you get withdrawal symptoms. (Hmm. I guess that coffee is not that good for you). I don't get headaches. Instead my joints ache like when you have the flu. Another thing, if you give up coffee, you can't read anything before noon. It makes for interesting situations at work. I'm thinking of wearing a bike helmet when I'm sitting at my desk. However I sleep like the dead at night.

No comments: