Sunday, February 11, 2007

You Can Start Your PALM Training NOW!

Who says you can't bike in winter? Just because it's cold is no reason not to ride. People don't look at skiers like they are from Mars. You just have to dress for the weather. Layers and breathability are the key.

Yesterday I was out riding on the local frozen creeks and Lake St Clair (yes, I do have studded tires) saying hi to the ice fishermen. Today I did the annual MMBA "Blizzard Blast" mountain bike ride at Pontiac Lake Rec. Area. We had over 40 people on the ride. It was only 15 degrees, but after 2 miles, I was plenty warm. In fact I may have dressed too warm as I was pretty sweaty after the 12 mile ride.

I wouldn't recommend riding on the road right after it has snowed. It can be wet, sloppy, and the salt won't do your bike any good. However, when it's clear and cold, that's the time to ride. Any snow on the side of the road stays frozen so there is no slop. The sun helps keep you warm. If you are riding off road, the snow will probably be pack down by four-wheelers, snowmobiles and other cyclists and traction is remarkably good.

If you would like more information on winter biking, post a comment or send me an email

No comments: