Monday, February 5, 2007

First confirmations mailed - wind

I've entered the first set of applications I received and mailed out their confirmation letters. That's the good news. The bad news is that it will still be in single digits when they arrive. What I sent out is about 1/3 of the applications that we have in the pipeline. There should be about a 2 week lag between mailing your application to PALM and receiving your confirmation. It's safe to say that if you haven't received a PALM application in the mail by now, you are not going to receive one. If you email us, we will mail an application to you. Or you can download one from our website.

Wind

During the winter when I can't bike, I run. I run outside in the morning before work, around 6:30 AM. On cool mornings, you notice the wind, even it is only 5-10 mph. On mornings like this morning, you notice every molecule of air as it drags itself over your skin. Wind is different for biking. Biking on hot days, you pray to be going against the wind. But wind is treacherous. Several times every year I go out on a ride where I feel really good, when I am going 3 mph faster than I usually go, and I feel that I'm really in good shape. Then I turn around to come back. Only then do I find out that I really had a 15 mph tailwind that I hadn't noticed until now when it was too late. Now I'm going 3 mph slower than I usually go, if that, panting and shifting to lower gears. You would think I would learn, but no. Humility is hard to learn, easy to forget, and must be taught over and over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just remind yourself while you're on your runs that because of PALM's west-to-east direction you'll have an excellent chance of having a nice tailwind without having to turn and face the wind on a return trip. I recall a couple of stretches that were just wonderful.