Sunday, February 11, 2007

Twixt the superbowl and spring training

This is the dead time of winter for me. Even though I'm not much of a pro football fan, the Super Bowl is like a holiday. Now it's over. Sportswise all you can find are endless interchangable college and pro basketball games. Hockey you can't find. Don't talk to me about the Pro Bowl. If there were spring training, you would get daily reminders that summer is coming. All you have is the tundra of winter spreading out before you.

Fortunately for me, I work on the PALM registration. I get batches of applications from people that express their hope for summer. Last week I registered an 82 year old woman.

Where I live there is a Gardens Resource Network that is promoting community and family gardens. Yesterday I went to the first meeting for our community garden. It was refreshing to hear people talk seriously about insects and tomato problems and their solutions. And I got a calendar of garden events and workshops for the spring and summer, as if there was going to be a spring and summer. I recommend this for anyone who has my winter problem.

Of course, the best cure ( and the official end of winter) is Ernie Harwell's voice reciting the Song Of Solomon verses about the end of winter and the song of the turtle at the opening of spring training. Until then, please keep sending me those PALM applications. I need all the help I can get.

No comments: