Monday, February 23, 2009

Paczki Day

More applications today. Now we are up to 332 riders. I'm even beginning to see applications from the PALM staff. Not mine though. I mailed mine in on Jan 25, two days after I got it. This year that meant that I was mailing it in late. I wrote a check for the wrong amount, which meant that Vickie had to call me up and tell me to mail her the right amount. It looks like I'm part of the problem as well as part of the solution. It will be a while before I see my application.

One of the nice things about living close to Hamtramck is paczkis. (I even know how pronounce the word.) It's one last indulgence before Lent, made from more butter, eggs, and sugar then you could belive possible. Each paczki is 450 calories. It's a Polish tradition but I buy them from the Danish bakery by my house. (All the Polish bakeries in Hamtramck are owned now by people from the Balkans as is my Danish bakery.) I'm originally from Flint and I didn't know about paczkis until I moved here. It was an easy transition to make: the Poles have it all over the Irish here.

When I run in the morning I turn down the same street that I bike. I'm very used to seeing this part of the road. When I run now, I can picture what the road looks like under the ice and snow. And when I do this, it's easy to imagine that I'm on my bike instead of running. Winter is losing its hold. Now is a good time to take your bike in to get it tuned up for PALM. If you do it now, you won't miss any days biking. Your bike shop isn't busy and they will be glad to see you. My bike shop is even having a sale, so I'll be taking mine in this weekend.

No comments: