Friday, February 20, 2009

Am I on PALM?

We are getting this question a lot lately. On February 13 Ellie sent back all the applications with regrets that didn't make the cutoff. There were 170 of them. If you were too late to get on PALM, you should have received your returned application by now and know that you are not on PALM. If you mailed in your application before Feb 3 and haven't heard from us, then the odds are very good that you are on PALM.

PALM does not have a waiting list. What we do is register 750 riders by accepting everybody that we get on the cutoff date, this year Feb 3. Then we count on 50 riders having to cancel to bring us down to the 700 rider limit. This has worked pretty well the last 2 years: the extra riders we accept act as waiting list, but they don't have to wait. Why do we have a 700 rider limit? We stay at schools and use their facilities. Schools are not hotels and some of them are small, especially in the northern part of the state. 700 riders is about what they (and our volunteer staff) can handle.

I got another packet of applications to process. With these, we are up to 283 applications processed. I'm the one who mails out the confirmation letters. I figure I'm working on applications that were mailed about Jan 23. I'll mail these out tomorrow so some of you will start receiving them on Monday, but, as you can tell, we are way behind. So far only a couple of riders have had to be added to the database from scratch. Everybody else I've processed are people who were on the mailing list, either at their request or because they have ridden PALM before. This shows that if you want to be on PALM, it is very important to be on the mailing list.

To stay in shape over the winter I run outside. I've decided that the hard part about running in winter is the snow, not the cold. Running on ruts of worn down snow and watching for patches of ice is tiring. The cold you can dress for, at least down to 5 degrees. When I got back from Florida all the snow had melted but it was still cold. I was able to run as well here as I did when I was on vacation. But, no use. There's more snow on the way this weekend.

No comments: