Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mirrors

In the past, one of the controversies in cycling was the use of mirrors.

The cons stated that mirrors had a small field of view, could not replace scanning with you head and eyes, and give a false sense of security.

The pros said that mirrors were an addition to scanning and one mounted on one’s helmet or glasses actually could enhance your field of view by turning the head a bit to look behind.

Personally, I have a difficult time riding on the road without a mirror. With one mounted on my helmet, I have over an 180 degree field of view behind me by turning my head while looking in the mirror. It can even help me keep track of my riding partner when on my single or my stoker when on the tandem.

I highly recommend a mirror when riding. Would you drive a car without rear and side-view mirrors?

Here is a link to a mirror that I use on one of my helmets:

http://www.cycleaware.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1

Enter code RFLX11 before the end of May and receive a free parts kit.

Whether you use a mirror on your helmet, glasses, or handle bars, it greatly enhances you rearward vision.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you recomend a handlebar mounted mirror or one on you helmet?

Bike Ed Guy said...

Mirror type tends to be personal opinion. My preference if for one on my helmet. Some have a difficult time adjusting to using only one eye to see through the helmet mirror. I have tried a few of the bar mounted ones and found them to have a limited field of view and vibrate a lot. I don't get that with one on my helmet.

Ken Kaye said...

There's another very viable option -- mirror for glasses/sunglasses. I use a $16 mirror from REI that works beautifully. It's very adjustable and fits both my eyeglasses and sunglasses. It's a metal frame that is very durable. Frankly, I despair that so many cyclists go out riding without a rear view mirror -- you wouldn't drive a car that way, would you? I think you're much more vulnerable on a bike without a mirror.

I'm not riding PALM this year but wish all you good Michiganders a wonderful week on the road next month.

Ken Kaye
Durham, NC
League Cycling Instructor

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Bike Ed Guy said...

Sorry for not mentioning mirrors mounted on glasses. I tend to lump both the helmet and glasses mirrors into the same category as they both came be difficult for some people to get accustom to but they also give you better rearward vision because you can turn your head.

Doug said...

I tried a helmet mirror and it bounced around too much so I got one that attaches to me sunglasses. Google this for reference -"Bike Peddler Take A Look Cycling Eyeglass Mirror". Yes, it looks kind of dorky but it helps me be more aware of my surroundings.