Wednesday, April 15, 2009

April is the Cruelest Month

I like the way Michigan flip flops months. March was mild. All the snow melted and we had several days where we could ride. Of course, since March is winter, any day you could ride stands out. But the ground was bare and I don't remember any snow. April has been different. Even though it was spring we had a major snow storm and then snow flurries on Easter. While the Tigers have been trying to play baseball, the weather hasn't made it out of the 40's. Decidedly not biking weather.

The Metro Grand is on May 3. It's going to be a scramble to be in shape to ride 45 miles and forget about 62 miles. There is going to be a new route for this year's Metro Grand. We'll be going west instead of east. This will mean that we won't be seeing Lake Erie, but it also means that we won't be riding on the potholes of Huron Valley Drive and I've been promised that there will be fewer railroad tracks on the route. Maybe this year we will have a tail wind on the second half of the route.

I'm going to try to ride tomorrow. I'm getting a crown put in but it is supposed to reach 60 and be sunny. Hope springs eternal. If worse comes to worse, at least I can pick up my cold crop plants that I'm getting from the Garden Resource Program for my garden. I still haven't done anything with my plot yet, but then again the plants haven't been harden off either.

No comments: