Sunday, April 19, 2009

70's At Last

I rode on Thursday. The temperature crept into the 60's but the wind was blowing so hard that I had to put on my jacket to stay warm. I should have worn tights but I thought that I could get away with not wearing them. The wind was against us on the way out and was especially brutal on Belle Isle. By the time we got it to our backs, it was too late to do us any good: we were already tired. This was not the case Saturday. It was in the 70's. I wore shorts and a jersey for the first time this year. I even put on sunscreen, just like it was summer. I rode on Hines Drive. There were plenty of bikers, just like summer. I could even hear frogs croaking in the ponds. I could get to like this.

I picked up my cold weather plants from Earthworks Garden and the Garden Resource Program on Saturday. I got 6 packs of Collards, Kale, Broccoli, and two kinds of lettuce. I have to harden these plants off before I can plant them. In the meantime I finally dug up my garden beds and even planted radishes. See what a day in the 70's (and the prospects of three days of rain coming up) will do. I'm trying to move my garden over to get it away from a tree in my backyard. Last year the tree really leafed out and shaded part of my garden. I could see how available sunlight affected the growth of plants, especially the ones with large leaves. I also need to draw up a garden plan so that I don't plant the greens in the same place as last year to make it harder for the bugs to find them. Something else for me to do while it rains.

No comments: