Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Applications

I called the printer and the applications are scheduled to be printed at the end of this week. That doesn't mean that they will be mailed right away. The applications have to be printed, then folded (another machine), then tabbed (another machine), then stamped (yet another machine), and then mailed. The different machines could be backed up. Look at it as a plane flight with multiple connections and you get the idea. But it does look like the applications could be mailed before the 18th rather than after. Once again, I'll post the exact date they are mailed when it happens so you'll know. I have to submit my mailing list to them by the end of the week. I hope you are on it already. We'll mail out apps to any stragglers, but they will be behind.

The next PALM meeting will be Jan 18th. Staff come from all parts of the state. They'll get some applications to distribute to bike shops, bike clubs, friends, and acquaintances in their area. This is another way to get an application, but it is more hit and miss. I'll learn more about this year's sites that I can share. One thing though: with the populations of the sites under 3000, there may not be any microbreweries. We are supposed to go thru Frankemuth though.

As you know, every day I feed the birds. I am trying to feed the cardinals, the only spot of color in the winter, but to do this I end up feeding pidgeons and squirrels (2 or 3 of them) too. I scatter the seed so that cardinals, juncos, chickidees, and sparrows have a chance. I came out one morning this week and there were two black cats out there too. When I looked around, I noticed that there lots of nice places for cats to hide, waiting. Just who am I feeding anyway?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We too like to feed the birds/squirrels. Our usual number of squirrels at any one time is eight. Did you know that a group of squirrels is called a dray or a scurry? Personally, I like scurry. They are very entertaining,but they certainly do require a lot of seed. We supplement with ear corn, and right now some stale popcorn balls that we had around the house.

We had a rare treat a few weeks ago to have at least twenty cardinals at our feeder at one time - a truly rare occurance! It was just before a major snow storm hit, so they must have been in a feeding frenzy.

We anxiously await the PALM application, so we can officially begin thinking about biking as well as birding!

PalmWebGuy said...

Good news. I got up before dawn to shovel a spot to scatter the bird seed and I heard the cardinals chirping. And I didn't see any footprints in the snow. that means that the cats didn't get all of my favorite bird and that, unlike the squirrels, the cats are not a permanent fixture in my yard.

The Village Scribe said...

Is there any way to confirm that one is on the mailing list without creating additional hassle for you and the other organizers? I would imagine that getting bombarded with emails asking "Am I on the mailing list?" would be one headache you all would like to avoid. Thanks.