Monday, April 21, 2008

More Spring, More Riding

We are beginning to be able to ride our mid week bike ride consistently now. SE Michigan is flat, but last Wednesday the wind was blowing so hard that we were pedaling up hill on the flats. I'm making progress: I was able to ride 10 miles before my seat hurt. We still haven't riden more than 25 miles and the restrooms on Belle Isle are still not open. I ride by a large community garden on Cochrane just North of Tiger Stadium. It was all tilled up and ready for planting. The rows had already been marked with string.

The Garden Resource Program is underway. We went to a potluck dinner at the 4H Center in Detroit on McClellan south of Gratiot. You know when you are on a street named after a Civil War general that you are on an old street. There were fresh graduates from the Urban Roots program (a nine week program that teaches you all things gardening and community organizing), members of the Detroit Agricultural Network, and humble family gardeners (like me) from all all over the city there, all people with hopes and plans for the summer. I'm planning on putting in a raised bed behind my garage. It has sun, but it also has gravel. I'm supposed to be getting over 100 plants. They got to go somewhere. I know spring is here because I spotted my first neighborhood rabbit. For a gardener, this is both good and bad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If anyone needs to cancel and wants to sell 2 tour spots please email clarkerin@hotmail.com. My husband and I would love to make PALM our first week-long biking event.