Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Forcing a Bike Ride

I've waited all the way thru March for the temperature to get above 50 so that I could ride. It hasn't happened. On Saturday, I couldn't wait any longer. The sun was out and it was in the mid 40's. As far as I was concerned, this was as warm as it was ever going to get to the end of time. I put on everything including a down vest and rode. It was only 12 miles, but hey. The streets had a lot of debris left over from the melted snow so I rode my mountain bike, the one with the big tires, the same one I used the last time I rode when I did the First Dozen. I forgot that I had trouble shifting then. It still doesn't shift right but it did enough to finish the ride. Time to take it to the shop. Thank goodness my other bike, the one that I ride 95% of the time is ready to go.


I didn't have trouble sitting on the bike seat on the mountain bike (but the road bike...) but my legs were sore the next day. You would think that running through the winter would prevent that. It doesn't: biking uses different muscles. Running does help with conditioning. I could use a trainer or a stationary bike but it drives me crazy to stare at a wall when I'm exercising. I don't run inside for the same reason. Going by the same place over and over drives me crazy. So I'm outside with the dark and the cars and the wind chill.

We are at a dead time as far as PALM registration goes. There are still a few applications that have problems that haven't been entered and people can still add/change meals and bus rides thru May. I'm taking the opportunity to add the people who called/emailed us for applications this year to our mailing list. That's about it. Now if I could fill up the time with bike riding...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If anyone needs to cancel and wants to sell 2 tour spots please email clarkerin@hotmail.com. My husband and I would love to make PALM our first week-long biking event.

Anonymous said...

The trick with Spinning is doing it with a group. I spin three nights a week all winter long with a group of friends. We spin to spinnervals DVD's and the effect of a group of friends make the effort bearable.