Saturday, April 12, 2008

Better Weather

Finally the weather has gotten better and I've been able to get out on my road bike. It was in the 50's last weekend and my wife and I rode both days. You know, sitting on your bike after not doing it for 4 or 5 months makes your eyes open wide, especially the second day. We do a ride with a few friends on Tuesday night and we wanted to check the route. It's a good thing we did: the construction on I75 and I375 is going to make for some changes. We won't be able to go by Xochomilcho's in Mexicantown: Vernor is now a very busy narrow two lane road so getting there is bad and there is a barrier all along Fort Street so you can't make a left turn to get to the much safer Lafayette. On the east side of the route, the Canfield bridge over I75 is being rebuilt so we can't cross there after going thru Eastern Market. We rode the route with detours on Wednesday and it's a little shorter. I'll have to extend the route to go through Indian Village to make up for the lost miles.

We rode on Wednesday this week instead of Tuesday which had the better weather so that I could go to the Cluster 9 Garden Resource meeting. Even though everything still looks mostly dead, I have garlic and chives starting to sprout. The meeting was packed. People want spring bad. It ends up that there are about 64 types of vegetables that can be grown in Michigan and through this program you can get seeds or plants to 41 of them. I haven't started on getting my garden ready. The emerald ash borer has killed some trees behind my house so now I have more sun light. I'm thinking of doing a raised bed behind the garage where there is a lot of gravel. (It may have been an alley once.) And I'm thinking of expanding the garden where I have it now. If I can ride my bike, it's time to stop thinking and start doing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If anyone needs to cancel and wants to sell 2 tour spots please email clarkerin@hotmail.com. My husband and I would love to make PALM our first week-long biking event.