Sunday, May 13, 2007

Summer Riding

Tuesday was the first day that it felt like summer riding. The sun was out, it had a little humidity, and the wind wasn't bad. I rode in bike shorts and a t shirt. I didn't even think about a jacket or tights. On our route we ride around Belle Isle. It's a great place to ride: there's water all around and the cars there are not in a hurry to get some place. The first warm day when school is still in session can be busy on Belle Isle. But on Tuesday, it wasn't bad at all.

Tuesday was also the first day that I rode with two water bottles. Summer is the time when you have to watch your hydration. Every year on PALM I'm amazed to find riders that don't have water bottles or camel backs. Some of the bikes don't even have water bottle cages. Biking is an exercise that you can do in hot weather. The heat feels worse when you stop. But you have to drink enough water. You feel cool on a bike but only because your sweat is evaporating to make you cool. If you feel bad on a bike ride, the most likely culprit is that you haven't been drinking enough water. On a long distance ride the goal is to eat and drink continuously.

First warm day: that also means that it is time to start seriously on my garden. Back to work! My plants, seeds, and bulbs are calling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you need to cancel from PALM and would like 100% of your money back right away, please send me an e-mail. I'd like to buy your spot(s) from you. Plus your meals and possibly your bus ride (to and from A2.)
Thank you, state_bird@hotmail.com