Friday, April 13, 2007

Weather

Opening Day this year was gorgeous: in the 60's. The next day, Tuesday, was the usual day that my friends and I bike after work. It was supposed to rain. (It poured the Tuesday before.) It rained all around Detroit, but I took a chance and tried to ride anyway. I'm glad I did: it didn't rain and its been the last time the weather has been good enough to ride. The weather has been horrible. On this Tuesday (!) I went to a garden club meeting. It's helped me to face the weather before. The woman at the meeting was apologizing because the cold crop plants that we were supposed to get next week wouldn't be ready intil May. I had to tell her: don't worry about it - it's supposed to snow tomorrow. And it did. My garden is frozen mud. I still can't tell if what is growing are plants or weeds. My feeling is that only a weed has a chance. My daffodils are flat on their faces on the lawn.

The Tigers have been lucky. They were home for three days and then took off for a 10 day road trip and missed all of this. Think about Cleveland. They had six inches of on their field for a week. There were pictures in the paper of their Latin players throwing snowballs and working on snowmen. The Indians had to move their Opening Day game to Milwaukee where they could play in an indoor stadium. Maybe they could rent their own stadium out for the Stanley Cup playoffs. I'm thinking: is it too late to take up a winter sport? And really, what good is daylight savings time anyway? My brother has the right idea: he moved to Missoula, Montana.

No comments: