Sunday, January 9, 2011

Thaw and PALM applications

I did do a 10 mile ride on December 31 and then did the First Dozen in Dearborn on January 1. The thaw melted all the snow and ice. I got to see that the grass still has some green in it and to finish putting my garden to bed for the winter by pulling the last of the greens and tiding up my compost heap. So I got a December and January ride in on the only two days above 40. Then on January 2 back to winter The low last night was supposed to be 2, but we were shown mercy and it's actually 13. Imagine being greatful that the temperature is 13. Michigan.

Yesterday I sent the mailing list for the PALM applications to the printer. I included everyone who sent me an address up to January 8, 5:00PM. You can still send me your mailing addresses but now I'll have to address and mail them out myself. And I'll have to get some applications from the printer to do this. Your best bet on getting a 2011 PALM application is to wait until January 15 when I'll post a link to it on our website and in this blog. Download the application, fill it out, and send it in. Our next PALM meeting is Jan 23. If the same thing happens this year as happened last year, we could be just about filled by then.

By the way the mailing list contained 3585 addresses of which 892 have never done PALM, ie the list contains 2693 people who have done PALM at least once. Last year we added 283 new addresses to the mailing list. We'll send people applications for 7 years before they are dropped from the list unless they do PALM. If you have ever done PALM, you are on the address list forever, ie until the post office returns the application as undeliverable or you ask to be removed. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anyone get their app. yet?

Anonymous said...

I received mine yesterday. it is going out in tomorrow's mail.

Anonymous said...

Got mine today. Going in the mail Monday.

Anonymous said...

None received yet in ZIP code 52403 as of mail delivery on 3/15/11.

Unknown said...

Neither I, nor my daughter, recieved an application by Jan 15 in zip 4864x, Midland, MI. Unfortunately, the on line application was not posted befroe 5PM on the 15th, precluding a same day return.

Out of fairness to all riders, would PALM leadership please consider distribution of applications only via web download? Better still, since applications far exceed the ride limit, please consider a lottery system, where applications are made available well in advance of the "lottery date". On the lottery date, applications are opened randomly, until the ride limit is met.

Thanks,

Jim Hemeyer

Anonymous said...

That is why it is called "snail mail". I am sure there will be plenty of rides for sale when it gets closer to June 18. Mine took an extra day this year compared to last. Didn't get mine until 01/14.

Anonymous said...

Jim,
Many riders on PALM are not computer users and would miss out if PALM went to an online registration. I'm surprised you didn't receive your application by 1/15. I live further away than you and received mine on 1/14. Maybe they will consider a lottery system in the future.