Monday, March 8, 2010

Application Update

With the confirmations that I mailed out last Tuesday, I have processed 587 riders so far. From what I've heard from Ellie, we will be registering 757 riders plus about 90 more staff, SAGs, truck drivers, bike shops, and sponsored riders. So I am about 2/3 of the way thru the participants and it's already March. I'm going to have to take a week break from working on the applications now so I will be hard pressed to get them all done by the end of March. In the meantime, I'll be sending emails to everyone whose application I haven't processed yet and whose email I have. I hope this will relieve any worries that riders who have sent in applications and haven't heard from us have. Once again, if you mailed in your application and haven't heard from us and haven't had your check cashed yet, don't worry. You are on the ride. We returned all the checks to the people who were too late a month ago. If you are not on the ride, you would know by now. This is counter intuitive, but true.

The weather has been great: lots of sun and the temperature stretching to the 50's. I was able to take a short 10 mile bike ride late Saturday. I used my mountain bike with the knobby tires in case there was any ice and rode on Outer Drive. The sun kept me warm enough even on the way back when I was going against the wind. I haven't ridden a bike since November and it felt like it. Gripping the handlebar and leaning forward made my arms tired. My legs felt stiff and awkward. I could sit on the bike, but then again I didn't go that far. I forgot how much water you need to drink to ride even when it's cool. I've got a lot of work to do before I'm ready for PALM.

I saw more signs of spring. Today I saw an honest to God robin in a tree. Yesterday I saw a rabbit. (Not as thrilling for gardeners as a robin however.) I know that there will be more cold weather and snow this month, but the sun and the 50's sure improved my attitude.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for plugging away. Your dedication is appreciated. :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't get in.

If anyone is on the PALM trip and finds out you can't make it, PLEASE write to me !! robinderousse(at)juno(dot)com or call 734-769-6616 and leave a msg.

I can buy your spot(s) and you'll have your money now instead of waiting until July. :o) Robin