Sunday, January 31, 2010

Entering Applications

We are well into processing the applications now. I've sent out confirmation letters for 286 people. Basically I sent out confirmations for all the applications we received thru Saturday Jan 16. This would be everyone who sent in their application the day they received it and live close to Michigan. Last week Ellie returned the checks, with regrets, to all the people who sent in their applications too late, ie everybody whose application is postmarked greater than Jan 19. She sent out letters covering roughly 200 people. If you didn't mail in your application the day you got it in the mail, you don't want to hear from us until the end of the week at the earliest.

Vickie has been working me hard. She even sent me applications for 55 people just before she left for Florida for 6 weeks. (She'll be sending me the rest of the applications from there. If you can't get to Florida at least your application can.) I sent out confirmations for this latest batch today, so I am finally caught up. Meanwhile, it's getting cold here and I run outside. On Thursday it was in the low teens with a 10-15 mph wind and I froze. On Friday, it was 3 degrees with a 5 mph wind and I was fine. I wore different clothes on Friday, basically everything I had, but I wore plenty on Thursday too. Today I ran with the temperature in the mid teens and a 10 mph wind. Once again I was cold (but not my hands: I learned my lesson there). It looks like for me, it's all about the wind.

I know you're thinking: it's the end of January. It's the coldest time of the year. How can he work in something about gardens and vegetables? It can be done. I mentioned that each family garden gets 34 packets of seeds and 102 plants in the Garden Resource Program. The plants come from the greenhouse at Earthworks Gardens by the Capuchin Soup Kitchen. Where do the seeds come from? Some of them are saved from plants grown in the last season. Some are brought in bulk. That still leaves filling the individual packets from the bulk/saved seeds. This year the seeds are being packed by volunteers all over the city organized by Riet Schumack. Last Saturday I helped pack seeds for kidney beans, Swiss chard (one of my favorites), and dill at Rosedale Baptist Church on Evergreen, a place I run by every time I run. And next week I start the Urban Roots gardening program. You see I could work gardens in and summer is coming.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting information here. I wish I had found this first before I signed up for the other one. This is much better!

Aunt E said...

I had a veggie garden for the first time last summer. I loved it! Some things were more successful than others. The lettuce, green beans and zucchini were great. The basil and cilantro, too. The peppers and corn not so much. The corn stalks looked impressive, though! I grew everything from seed started inside, so I was quite proud of myself. I have a lot to learn, though. Sarah, my daughter, and I are collecting composte in a bin - I have a lot to learn about that too. I absolutely loved being able to go out to my garden and pick fresh greens for my salad and green beans for dinner! My goal is to have enough good produce to share with our local food bank. Please let me know when the tour of Detroit community gardens is. I think you blogged about it last year. I would like to go on the tour. - Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

dying for an update re: PALM registrations