Friday, December 11, 2009

Wind Chill is Back

Last weekend the temperature dipped down to 27 and the wind picked up to 15 mph. My hands were so cold when I was jogging that I thought it was really cold. I knew it was going to be about 20 degrees colder this winter and I was wondering how I was going to survive. The first thing I did was to remember to wear mittens over gloves. When my hands weren't aching, it didn't seem so cold. But now it's 18 degrees and the wind is 20-25 mph. I've pulled out all my winter gear and I still have to prepare for temperatures 10 degrees colder. This is going to be a challenge. At least I know where all my winter clothes are now. I can't complain yet. In SW Michigan we only got a dusting of snow. The western part of the state got 5 inches or so. Nothing like starting off winter with a bang.

I've had some people ask whether they were on the PALM mailing list or not. If you got an application last year and you haven't moved, you are going to get one this year. If you have ever been on PALM, you'll be getting applications until you disappear or ask to be taken off the mailing list. If you didn't mail in your application in time to get on the ride last year, I put you on the mailing list (or tried to) and you should get an application this year. If you emailed palmbiketour@yahoo.com with your mailing address, you're on the mailing list. So far the mailing list contains 3300 addresses, about 300 more than usual. You have until Jan 1 to get me your mailing address before I have to put the mailing list together for the printer. On the application itself: I've completed the corrections to the proof and I'll be sending it back to the printer Monday. They should be all set.

On the garden front, I did harvest my last collard plant when the temperature got down to 27. I need daylight to work in the garden so my window of opportunity is down to the weekend. I was trying to wait out the pea sized Brussel sprouts and now they are frozen. I'm going to need a pick ax to clear the rest of the garden. My compost heap is a frozen lump. If a compost heap is active it's supposed to be warm, over 100 degrees. It looks like it wasn't active enough and now it will have to wait until spring like the rest of us. Well, there is the First Dozen. I did get a postcard for it today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.