Monday, August 3, 2009

Post PALM Post

Did you ever notice that the days are always getting longer leading up to PALM and afterword the days start getting shorter? That can't be a coincidence, can it?

This year's PALM was on the only hot week we had this summer. It was in high 80's or low 90's and it seemed a lot hotter because it was 20 degrees cooler on the weeks leading up to PALM. The Thursday before PALM we had thunder that sounded like artillery in SE Michigan. The next night, it poured. Either one of those nights would have been bad for PALM. You have to be careful what you wish for. Typically hot weather breaks with thunderstorms in Michigan. In fact we were supposed to get some bad weather Wednesday night and Thursday morning. 50 miles away it was bad, but we were lucky: no rain in Vassar and none on the way to Marlette. At 7PM, it sprinkled for 30 minutes, but everybody was setup already and it just cooled things down.

But it was hot. I drank lots of water (and we had SAGs with water every 6 or 7 miles. Thank God for the SAGs.) I still didn't drink enough. I kept forgetting where I put things and I was pretty cranky at times. (I apologize.) On Thursday and Friday I left camp at 7:30 AM and beat the bad afternoon heat. That made a big difference. It was a tough PALM for me. I was still tired for the whole week after PALM.

We start planning for PALM in September, the Sunday after Labor Day. The first meeting we pick a route (and who will hold what staff position, but that's the boring stuff). Ten months later PALM happens. For me it's the best part of the summer. I do the web site and it's hard for me to do any updates after PALM. This year I've been better than most years. It only took 3 weeks to get Dottie's pictures of PALM 2009 on the web site, drop the "Preparing for PALM" pages, and put up the Patch Contest page. Some years I haven't gotten this done until the end of August. If you read my PALM day by day description, you can tell it was too hot for me to notice a lot, but that Thursday and Friday were pretty good days for me. Fortunately we have a great blog from Ken Kaye. He nails what we hope that PALM would be all about for all the riders. Being from North Carolina, the heat must not affect him

2 comments:

CyKKlist said...

Thanks for the link to my journal. I hope everyone enjoys reading that.

I did indeed suffer on Thursday, on the afternoon segment from Frankenmuth to Vassar. Thank goodness for the frequent water stops! Kudos to my co-pilot, 6 year old Daniel, who did not complain in 96 degree heat. We had the advantage of sleeping over at our friend's house in Frankenmuth that night, which limited our suffering.

I'm meeting up with family cyclists here and giving rave reviews about the PALM ride. My wife has already given her blessing to us riding in 2010, and perhaps she and our toddler girl may join us.

Hope everyone is out there enjoying summer riding conditions. It's 90-95 here every day in August but we just ride early in the mornings, same as you.

I'm attempting my first brevet next weekend, 200K. Wish me luck.

Best to all. Ken

Anonymous said...

Which cartoon do you like The Simpsons or Family Guy?