Sunday, March 25, 2007

Spring is officially here

You may not have noticed, but spring officially arrived on March 20. On March 13, it reached 70 degrees. It was your Florida vacation if you didn't get a chance. Hopefully by now you have taken your bike in for a tuneup and checkout and have it back. Have you taken advantage of the warmer weather? You still can't ride every day but there are days you can and you need to take advantage. My personal cutoff is 50 degrees: any day over 50 I can ride. I wear a lot of clothes, but I can ride.

Because daylight savings had started, I was able to ride March 13. And because it was over 50 degrees (65!), I was able to ride on Saturday. Since I live in Michigan, every year in the spring, I have to start biking all over again. I run in the winter, but running is not biking. In the spring I'm tired after a 20 mile ride even at a relaxed pace. And how many more weeks is it to the PALM? My goal is to ride 3 days a week. In the beginning I'm really just practicing sitting on a bicycle seat. I try to do 20 miles, but hey. Later I'll try to make one of the rides a long one. Every year I try to do 50 miles at the Metro Grand which occurs on the first Sunday of May. (One year it was 43 degrees and pouring rain. I didn't ride that year. I saw some of the riders coming in. They were poster children for hypothermia.) Wish me luck!

Three weeks after the cutoff date and we are still processing applications. I sent out the 660th confirmation letter today. I'm supposed to get applications to finish for another 60 people in the next couple of days and we have another 22 people whose applications have errors. (Hey, wait, wasn't the cutoff 700 riders?) We've had to return with regrets the applications of 150 riders. We may not have been fast but we've been busy.

No comments: